1.09.2010

Let Them Eat ... More Cake


Cake, cake, lovely cake. I call this one my Bathrobe Cake. I've been known to sneak downstairs in the middle of the night in my bathrobe and take a forkful right out of the pan ... best eaten over the kitchen sink.

I could also name it my Kitchen Sink Cake, another possibility. However, it's original name is Apple Cake. Simple and wonderful, just the way it sounds. This is the recipe I really just can't do without. Like a comfortable pair of loafers you've had and broken in throughout the years. Hold it, is it the shoes that stretch over time or their occupants? I just had a big piece tonight and the only thing stretching right now is my belly. Not in a good way. Note to self - go to gym... soon... real soon.

This cake has seen me through heart aches, potlucks, last minute dinner parties, a divorce, and the most joyful times with my children. The kids love this cake, and it loves them back. I keep making it, and it (and we) keep coming back for more.

In the end, it is my happy cake and has been a good friend to me through the good and not so good times.

Try this one, for sure. My lovely, loyal standby..

P.S. I couldn't resist showing you the picture my five year old took of  my piece of cake (wine and cake couple nicely, don't you think?). She saw mama taking pics and wanted to take one too for you all. So sweet!

Note:  You know that five year olds don't like to stand still, much less do so with camera in hand, right?  Be sure to put your 3D glasses on before viewing the pic. And for goodness sake, bake this cake! So good.

Apple Cake

Mix in this order:

1 1/3 cups Wesson Oil (or any vegetable oil)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
3 cups apples, chopped (3 med size)
1 cup nuts

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour in a 13" x  9" x 2"  greased pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment