2.25.2010

Broiled Soy Ginger Salmon

Happy February to you all. I've been taking a hiatus from writing this month focusing on getting back into the health swing of things and work resource changes. Nah, I'm still working (I keep telling myself - we are lucky to have a job with this economy ... ) but the work volume has increased and our small team has been working overtime. Bunch of busy bees. Bzzzzzzz.

It also takes focus and drive to find time during the day to exercise and eat right which has been another focus of mine this month. However, I've missed this and sending out a part, however small, of me out into the universe...



I've been cooking a lot of salmon for the family lately. For one thing, it is easy, quick, healthy, and absolutely delicious. Salmon is one of the fish that you can eat a lot of and not be overly concerned about mercury intake. Think Jeremy Priven, now the poster child for the rumor mongering against eating too much sushi.  I'm not sure if this is correct, but a Japanese friend told me that if fish is going to be the prevalent protein in your diet, then two to three times a week is fine - however the exception seems to be salmon.

I've been marinating my salmon steaks in this soy-ginger mixture and faintly remember locating the recipe on-line on Epicurious a few years ago. Since then, I make this dish frequently and my son raves about it. Since the dish is broiled, the top comes out crispy brown and the inside moist, sweet, and aromatic with ginger spice citrus flavors. I absolutely love this dish and you will too.



Broiled Soy-Ginger Salmon
Adapted from Epicurious.com 

Salmon marinade
1/2 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
2 T soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
1 T finely grated peeled fresh ginger
4 (6 oz) pieces salmon fillet

Marinate Salmon: Stir together mirin, soy sauce, vinegar, and ginger in a shallow dish. Add fish, skin sides up, and marinate, covered at room temperature 20 minutes.

Preheat broiler.

Broil fish, skin sides down, on oiled rack of a broiler pan 5 to 7 inches from heat until fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment